Graven Images

Exploring Stone Walls


Extracted and edited from “History And Antiquities of Every Town In Massachusetts” by John Warner Barber, 1848.

This town was incorporated in 1771. The first Congregational minister settled in. this place was Rev. Amos Butler, a native of Hartford, Con.; this was in 1773; he died in 1777, at the age of twenty-nine years. Mr. Butler was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Strong, in 1781. Mr. Strong died Jan. 1st, 1803, and was succeeded by Rev. Henry Lord in 1804. His successor was Rev. William Lusk, who was installed here in 1836.

A considerable stream passes through this town, and unites with the Connecticut at Northampton, affording good water-power for manufacturing purposes. The following is a southern view of the central part of Williamsburg. The Methodist church recently erected is seen on the left; the Congregational church is seen on the right, southerly of which is the bridge over the mill stream passing through the village. In the central part of the engraving is seen in the extreme distance the spire of the old Congregational church, situated about half a mile northward from the central part of the village. This was built more than fifty years ago. This village is 8 miles from Northampton, and 103 from Boston. Population, 1,345.

Southern view of Williamsburg.
Southern View of Williamsburg.

The Williamsburg woolen, linen and cotton manufactory was incorporated in 1825, with a capital of $250,000. In 1837, there were 3 woollen mills; 42,150 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $69,235; males employed, 26; females, 25; capital invested, $33,700; value of flexible and. japan buttons manufactured, $102,500; hands employed, 13 males and 105 females; capital invested, $39,000; value of axes manufactured, $6,106; value of augers, bitts, and bitt-stocks manufactured, $2,310; value of gimblets, screw-drivers, and punches manufactured, $4,066.

These pages are an edited and adapted version of the original
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
© Laurel O’Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
This page was last updated on
28 Apr 2006