Extracted and edited from “History And Antiquities of Every Town In Massachusetts” by John Warner Barber, 1848.
This town was incorporated in 1754. It was originally settled by a colony from the north of Ireland, and many of their descendants still remain in the town. Rev. Pelatiah Webster, the first minister, was ordained here in 1749; he resigned in 1755. He was succeeded by Rev. Robert Cutler, who was installed in 1760, and died in 1786, aged 68. Mr. Cutler was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Blodget, who was settled here in 1786, and died in 1833. Rev. Joseph H. Patrick was settled here as colleague pastor in 1830.
This township is pleasantly situated on the east and west branches of Swift River, a branch of the Chicopee. In 1837, there was one woolen mill; 3,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $3,000. One scythe manufactory; scythes manufactured, 10,200, valued at $7,000; twelve hands were employed; capital invested, $4,000. There were 30,000 palm-leaf hats manufactured, valued at $4,375. Population, 842. Distance, 17 miles from Northampton, 26 from Worcester, and 75 from Boston.
These pages are an edited and adapted version of the original
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
© Laurel O’Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
This page was last updated on
28 Apr 2006